[j-nsp] MX80 no more hash-key option in 12.2?

Paul Vlaar paul at vlaar.net
Tue Oct 23 10:14:43 EDT 2012

Doug,

On 23/10/12 9:52 AM, Doug Hanks wrote:
> Pretty much. enhanced-hash-hey does a lot by default. Harry can elaborate.

So on 11.2 at least, enhanced-hash-key doesn't offer me any options to
set, as the defaults should already enable port based hashing:

mx80# set forwarding-options enhanced-hash-key family inet ?
Possible completions:
+ apply-groups         Groups from which to inherit configuration data
+ apply-groups-except  Don't inherit configuration data from these groups
  incoming-interface-index  Include incoming interface index in the hash key
  no-destination-port  Omit IP destination port in the hash key
  no-source-port       Omit IP source port in the hash key
  type-of-service      Include TOS byte in the hash key
[edit]

So I'm left with no options to set. And when I deactivate/remove the
hash-key setting from forwarding-options, I get:

mx80# request pfe execute command "show jnh lb" target tfeb0
SENT: Ukern command: show jnh lb
GOT:
GOT: Unilist Seed Configured 0x8bce4c39 System Mac address 00:00:00:00:00:00
GOT: Hash Key Configuration: 0x0000000000e8ff00 0xffffffff00000000
GOT:            IIF-V4: Yes
GOT:          SPORT-V4: Yes
GOT:          DPORT-V4: Yes
GOT:               TOS: Yes
GOT:
GOT:            IIF-V6: No
GOT:          SPORT-V6: No
GOT:          DPORT-V6: No
GOT:     TRAFFIC_CLASS: No
GOT:
GOT:          IIF-MPLS: No
GOT:      MPLS_PAYLOAD: Yes
GOT:          MPLS_EXP: No
GOT:
GOT:       IIF-BRIDGED: No
GOT:     MAC ADDRESSES: Yes
GOT:     ETHER_PAYLOAD: Yes
GOT:      802.1P OUTER: No
GOT:
GOT: Services Hash Key Configuration:
GOT:          SADDR-V4: No
GOT:            IIF-V4: No
GOT:

So that shows there is no port based hashing done for ECMP IPv6 traffic.

Bringing back:

forwarding-options hash-key family inet6 { layer3; layer4; }

Yields:

pvlaar at r1.iad1> request pfe execute command "show jnh lb" target tfeb0
SENT: Ukern command: show jnh lb
GOT:
GOT: Unilist Seed Configured 0x8bce4c39 System Mac address 00:00:00:00:00:00
GOT: Hash Key Configuration: 0x0000000000ecffff 0xffffffffffffffff
GOT:            IIF-V4: Yes
GOT:          SPORT-V4: Yes
GOT:          DPORT-V4: Yes
GOT:               TOS: Yes
GOT:
GOT:            IIF-V6: Yes
GOT:          SPORT-V6: Yes
GOT:          DPORT-V6: Yes
GOT:     TRAFFIC_CLASS: Yes
GOT:
GOT:          IIF-MPLS: No
GOT:      MPLS_PAYLOAD: Yes
GOT:          MPLS_EXP: No
GOT:
GOT:       IIF-BRIDGED: No
GOT:     MAC ADDRESSES: Yes
GOT:     ETHER_PAYLOAD: Yes
GOT:      802.1P OUTER: No
GOT:
GOT: Services Hash Key Configuration:
GOT:          SADDR-V4: No
GOT:            IIF-V4: No
GOT:

So the hash-key option definitely does *something*, and is in fact
necessary on 11.2 to get port hashing working for IPv6.

	~paul