[j-nsp] How reliable is EX multichassis? 3300 and 8200 switches

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Fri Oct 26 17:35:42 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Morgan McLean <wrx230 at gmail.com> wrote:
> fault tolerance. How reliable is VC? I've really done my best to avoid it

I can't speak to EX3300 specifically, but on EX4200 the VC works very
well.  I have many stacks running for many years, and have had no
stacking-related problems since before Junos 10.4R.

We configure no-split-detection on VCs of two units (like TOR) based
on our guess that it is much more likely one unit will fail
completely, than the likelihood of split-brain happening where both
switches are still working.  If it did happen we would have a fast
time-to-repair, and we think good MTTR is too often overlooked.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz> +1 502-523-6989 Mobile
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts