[j-nsp] How reliable is EX multichassis? 3300 and 8200 switches

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Oct 26 18:03:10 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 07:44:27PM -0200, Giuliano Medalha wrote:
> Morgan,
>
> I really dont know why JUNIPER did this kind of crazy environment with
> EX8200.
>
> Considering the MX family (240, 480 and 960 with TRIO 3D) and the new
> MX-L I think you do not need the external routing engines for virtual
> chassis.

An external routing engine is actually a really good idea, you should
ask them to do it more, not less. There is absolutely no reason the RE
needs to be in the chassis, all it does it drive up the cost and slow
down upgrade cycles. When was the last time you saw a several year old
off the shelf PC that cost $32k?

In the EX's case, the EX8200 is vastly underprovisioned on the stock RE
(one of the worst design decisions of all times), so it REALLY benefits
from an external RE. I never actually tried it in production though, so
no comments about the reliability (IMHO multi-chassis boxes are for
people who can't figure out routing protocols, I'd personally rather
have two independant control-planes instead).

I'm still sad that I couldn't get Juniper to bless the XRE200 as an
external route reflector, since it's an infinitely more useful form
factor than a JCS, but alas lack of common sense knows no bounds. :)