[j-nsp] VPLS design - dual homed

Luca Salvatore Luca at ninefold.com
Mon Oct 29 19:19:59 EDT 2012

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding dual VPLS links.  My topology will look like this:

MX1---------darkfibre----------MX2
MX3---------darkfibre----------MX4

So above you see that there are dual  links which will create a loop.

How does VPLS handle these types of topologies?  Do I need to just use spanning tree and have one link in blocking?
Or perhaps use MSTP and send some VLANs down one link and some down the other?
I will be spanning around 1000 VLANs across these links. They are 10Gb links, so it seems a shame to have one in a blocking state.

Any other recommendations?  Perhaps M-LAG?
Thanks,

Luca.