[j-nsp] VPLS design - dual homed

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:17:11 EDT 2012

In VPLS, loop avoidance is arranged by the following rule: A PE never
forwards a frame received from a PE, to another PE. The use of a full
mesh combined with split horizon forwarding guarantees a loop-free
broadcast domain.

From: wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Private_LAN_Service#Ethernet_emulation

So it's much like ibgp.

--chip

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Luca Salvatore <Luca at ninefold.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a question regarding dual VPLS links.  My topology will look like this:
>
> MX1---------darkfibre----------MX2
>   |                                                          |
> MX3---------darkfibre----------MX4
>
> So above you see that there are dual  links which will create a loop.
>
> How does VPLS handle these types of topologies?  Do I need to just use spanning tree and have one link in blocking?
> Or perhaps use MSTP and send some VLANs down one link and some down the other?
> I will be spanning around 1000 VLANs across these links. They are 10Gb links, so it seems a shame to have one in a blocking state.
>
> Any other recommendations?  Perhaps M-LAG?
> Thanks,
>
> Luca.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....