[j-nsp] MX, ARP cache with L2 bridging

Nicolaj Kamensek nsp at accelerated.de
Tue Sep 18 13:35:28 EDT 2012

Hi list,

I've just learned that even if the MX operate in L2 bridging mode with
irb interfaces and an IP address moves from one bridged interface to
another, the arp cache timeout still applies. This is a pain since this
might affect convergence time in case of a link failure when
spanning-tree chooses an alternate path and the ip is then seen on
xe-0/0/1 instead of xe-0/0/0. Is there anything I can do to optimize
that behaviour? Clearing the arp cache every few minutes is obviously
not a good idea in respect of the cpu load.

Thanks!