[j-nsp] Adjusting OSPF metric based on VRRP state?

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Thu Sep 27 12:30:42 EDT 2012

Hey all,

I've been poking around for a while now but haven't been able to find
anything, which does pretty much suggest this isn't possible.

So, I've got 2 J6350s in full flow-mode guise on 11.4, but not a cluster.
I am trying to use VRRP for some HA though.
Because they're both "on" the same network segment they both announce that
prefix into OSPF, and that's causing me a problem.
If a TCP session arrives via J1 and J2 is the VRRP master, J2 will drop/reject
the SYN-ACK as it didn't deal with the SYN.

Now I know I could set "flow tcp-session no-syn-check" to effectively ignore
the problem, or given suitable amounts of interest/time/effort we could
probably cluster the 2 devices (different Colo providers in the same
building), or even use some creativity with static routes (urgh) to bypass
OSPF entirely, but I'm hoping there is some magic OSPF/VRRP knob I haven't
been able to find yet that will alter the OSPF metric for a logical interface
based on the VRRP state.

Does anyone know if such a knob exists?

Honestly I'm not holding out much hope, as there isn't a direct corrolation
between VRRP and logical interfaces (many VRRP groups per unit).

Thanks

--
Mike Williams