[j-nsp] mx-class units now advertisement management interface networks in BGP

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 27 13:49:56 EDT 2012

I don't know when Juniper broke this, but I was chasing down a different problem earlier this week and discovered that our Juniper MX80s are advertising the fxp0 interface's network in BGP announcements. My testing seems to indicate that it still won't accept packets on other interfaces for this network, so the historical nature of fxp0 seems to remain the same. This means it is clearly a bug in the announcements.

It was a bit surprising to find such a rookie mistake coming from Juniper, but sadder still is the two days of back and forth I've had to do with Juniper on this topic. They really don't understand BGP at all.

Suggestions:
   1. Who cares it won't be used by this unit.
	---um, yeah, I care about the other units receiving it.

   2. Filter it on all recipients.
        --sure, let's go ask this of all our peers, instead of fixing the source

   3. Send me a capture of the announcement from the source
	--right, because output from another router showing it on the received routes from this unit isn't conclusive.

   4. Send me the arp table from the unit
	--okay, I'm not even going to dignify this with a response.

So, not even that long ago, I would have argued that it's worth paying more for Juniper gear just because the technical support response was more coherent and useful when a bug was found. Juniper seems to have eroded that completely away now. After two days on this topic I could have gotten a bug fix out of Cisco. At this point Juniper hasn't even started the grasp the nature of the problem. This really isn't a good sign.

--
Jo Rhett