[j-nsp] Adjusting OSPF metric based on VRRP state?

Jonathan Looney jonlooney at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 10:30:27 EDT 2012

Howard,

That's a creative solution; however, it isn't what the "apply-groups"
command does.

The "apply-groups" command adds any configuration from the group that is
relevant to the particular section of the hierarchy where it is applied.
Your group only contains things in [edit protocols ospf], but your
apply-groups statement is under [edit interfaces]. Therefore, none of the
configuration from the group will be applied to the [edit interfaces]
hierarchy.

On the other hand, if you used the configuration below, then the OSPF
configuration from the group would be applied in [edit protocols]:
protocols {
    ospf {
        apply-groups ospf-weight;
    }
}

However, in this case, the configuration would always be applied,
regardless of the VRRP status.

In general, to adjust a piece of configuration one place based on an event
occurring somewhere else, you might try using event scripts. (There are, of
course, exceptions where Juniper has programmed an option to automate the
adjustment. However, I'm not aware of something like this for VRRP.)

In this particular case, the "cleanest" thing to do might be to cluster the
devices. If they are acting as firewalls, clustering probably gives the
best failover options. Without clustering, even if you get the OSPF metric
change to work, all the sessions will lose state during the failover.

Hope this helps.

-Jon