[j-nsp] 1000Base-T SFP shows Link Up without cable inserted

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Mon Apr 1 19:08:24 EDT 2013

On 01/04/2013, at 5:55 AM, Mathias Sundman <mathias at nilings.se> wrote:

> I've just upgraded two of my MX5-T boxes to 11.4R7.5 and after that my 3rd party 1000Base-T SFP (Transmode originals based on Finisar) started to show Link Up as soon as the SFP is inserted (no cable inserted).
>
> On 11.2R5.4 it worked as it should. 11.4R1.14 that the boxes came with was also broken.
>
> Bug or feature? Has anyone used any Juniper original 1000Base-T SFPs on the MX-5/10/40/80-T platform with JunOS 11.4?

Both ; )  I've seen this a few times across various versions with different 3rd-party 1GBaseT transceivers.  I don't know the specifics of why the issue is caused, but after swapping suppliers, and upgrading code, the issue appears to have gone away.

I guess that is the risk of using 3rd party - I'm not sure how much luck you'll have logging a case