[j-nsp] Clustering J-series across a switch

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Tue Apr 2 12:47:08 EDT 2013

Hey all,

So I've been reading the clustering docs, and they make it pretty clear that
the (at least) control link should connect the devices "back-to-back".
I don't have the page to hand but there is an option to configure the control
link in the old way, using (a?) VLAN (4094 IIRC), otherwise new clusters will
use a special ether-type.

Now if Junos is going to use a new ether-type for control link communication
it's pretty certain the devices would have to be connected "back-to-back", but
if control link traffic is within a specific VLAN switching it shouldn't be a
problem, right? I'd q-in-q the traffic anyway.

The health of the control and fabric links is determined by heartbeats only,
not link state, so a switch wouldn't hurt that.

I accept that clustering across a switch isn't necessarily advisable, I'm just
wondering if it's fundamentally possible.
Has anyone ever even tried to put a switch between a J-series, or SRX-series,
cluster?

Thanks

Currently we've 2 J6350s on different floors of a building, with different
providers. Around that building we have a 10Gbps VC ring of EX3300s. We want
to cluster the J-series' but don't want the hassle or cost of running copper
between the providers (if that's even possible) when the VC is way more than
fast enough.
Traffic levels are way way below 10Gbps, and it's highly unlikely they'll ever
get that high.

--
Mike Williams