[j-nsp] Clustering J-series across a switch

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Tue Apr 2 13:35:02 EDT 2013

02.04.2013 20:47, Mike Williams wrote:
> I don't have the page to hand but there is an option to configure the control
> link in the old way, using (a?) VLAN (4094 IIRC), otherwise new clusters will
> use a special ether-type.
Yes, as already mentioned its revertible with "set chassis cluster
fabric-link-vlan enable/disable" (hidden). "show chassis cluster
information" will show you actual state.

Also see KB23995 and KB23995.

> Has anyone ever even tried to put a switch between a J-series, or SRX-series,
> cluster?
Yes, I have, but quite a long time back. It worked for me in a lab with
SRX650 running very early code (9.smthng) but I've never seen it used in
production. AFAIR, some switches (Cisco?) needed to be configured
somehow to not check the payload was IP (not sure if it really was
enabled by default).