[j-nsp] Speed

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Apr 8 08:34:44 EDT 2013

On (2013-04-08 13:44 +0200), Benny Amorsen wrote:

> In my experience, you cannot trust iperf to not override the OS window
> size. Explicit -w seems to be the only reliable solution.

I remember one test I had, not long ago, where any -w value fared worse
than no -w value.
I never tsharked it, I just presumed iperf doing something stupid with
static window size and OS doing something smart.

This highlights the fact that you should not test network with TCP, always
UDP, with TCP there are so many things to go wrong which are not network
related, UDP is much more reliable indication that problem actually may be
in the network.

--
  ++ytti