[j-nsp] Best route reflector platform

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Mon Apr 15 12:20:15 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 06:47:41PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> ASR1001 with 16GB DRAM. What more do you want, really?

Well, it fails my "must run IOS-XR or JUNOS" requirement, for starters. ;-)
And seriously, who wants to implement routing policy in IOS?!  Bletch.

What I want is something based on a generic compute platform, ala
JUNOSphere/VIRL.  That lets me scale the control plane as big as I need to,
avoids wasting money on purpose-built hardware optimized for forwarding,
and comes with the added bonus of using the same OS & policy language
that's already widely deployed in my network, so at least I don't get any
NEW interop issues.  The downside is that neither vendor sells such a thing
right now, and so we're stuck arguing about which square peg fits best into
the round hole.  ("small" ASR9k and MX here, FWIW)

Oh and I also want a two-vendor solution so that I'm (hopefully) not
completely screwed the next time one of them discovers a new attribute-
handling bug.

--Jeff