[j-nsp] SNMP on logical-system fxp0

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Apr 25 06:25:20 EDT 2013

On (2013-04-25 10:17 +0100), Alex Arseniev wrote:

> And why is that may I ask? Care to elaborate?
> Just curious - maybe You don't know how to cook it properly :-)
> I personally set up SNMPv1/v2/v3 over fxp0 enough times, including
> SNMPv3 with separate auth/enc keys for RE0 and RE1.

There is nothing stopping vendors from implementing netflow and SNMP in HW,
allowing instant refresh of octet counters.

Netflow often is already implemented in HW.

By exporting this data in interface not connected to hardware forwarding
you cannot capitalize on these features, as you must first transport the
data to software and potentially congest the control-plane.

And as Jeff mentioned, you cannot do CoPP to protect your RE from being
congested by fxp0 traffic. Something simple and easy mistake to do as L2
loop in FXP0 could be disaster, and no way to protect.

--
  ++ytti