[j-nsp] SNMP on logical-system fxp0

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Apr 25 11:47:01 EDT 2013

On (2013-04-25 08:29 -0700), joel jaeggli wrote:

> >>It's not OOB, it's completely fate-sharing the freebsd/junos.
> it's not part of the forwarding plane so it certainly is not
> in-band, what you connect it to of course is your business. we
> connect them to our oob network.

Yes it's not fate-sharing forwarding-plane, but it's fate-sharing the whole
control-plane.
You need ports, wiring to build fxp0 management network, which isn't even
redundant, single port down and it's not reachable.

Lot of cost+complexity for only benefit of being able to configure router
when forwarding is broken but router not.

> power cycle the SCB that the alternate RE is in. but having serial
> console on on ethernet for example would eliminate a terminal server
> potentiallly and that needs to happen eventually imho.

Sadly Cisco did CMP, but removed in Nexus7k RP2, citing thermal/pincount
and lack of customer demand.
People aren't asking for proper solution to this problem in RFQs.

> inline flow export is generated in linecard asics so it's not really
> suitable for the oob port.

I think this is really my point, you need

* fxp0 for ssh, snmp
* inband for netflow, snmp (if HW)  (redundant)
* rs232 to attempt recovering box from control-plane software failure

Why build fxp0, if you need inband for something anyhow? It costs money,
adds complexity, and delivers no value if RS232 is also implemented with
in-band.

--
  ++ytti