[j-nsp] SNMP on logical-system fxp0

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Apr 25 12:51:10 EDT 2013

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Saku Ytti wrote:

> On (2013-04-25 10:55 -0400), Brandon Ross wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure why we are suddenly debating the benefits and drawbacks
>> of RS232.  The two interface types are there for very different
>> reasons.
>
> Done right, you'd need one MGMT interface, and ethernet is obvious
> solution.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.  One management
interface causes a truck roll when that one management interface fails.
They all fail in one way or another.  Clearly this is acceptable risk to
you and the networks that you build.  As a well known network expert likes
to say, "I encourage my competition to build their networks this way".

>> That essentially what we are talking about.  Connect fxp0 to a
>> SEPARATE switch that is used for only out of band traffic.  You then
>> use this network to copy images, etc.  What am I missing here?
>
> What are you winning by not doing this on-band in HW interface?

Once again, when I have a device without an interface card that can
economically connect to an out of band switch (i.e. a core router with all
10GbE interfaces, a router with SONET line cards, etc.)

>> Sure you can, I've done it, others here have said they've done it.
>> Assuming the OOB network is well protected from outside traffic to
>> avoid attacks and the like, why not?
>
> Additional ports, wiring.

Your words were, "And no, you would not use this FXP0 for SNMP or Netflow
or whatnot."  I am disagreeing with that statement, I WOULD, in the
appropriate cases, use fxp0 for SNMP, and have.  I did not say it did not
come at extra cost or complexity.

Like everything in networking, or business in general, doing something
comes at the cost of something else.  A good engineer is able to balance
the costs and the benefits.  For many networks, once again, I agree the
that cost and complexity of the fxp0 port is beyond it's value.  I've
built several of those networks myself and have even been on your side of
the argument.  But to make sweeping generalizations that the port
shouldn't ever be used or is useless, is not accurate.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442