[j-nsp] SNMP on logical-system fxp0

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Apr 25 14:00:32 EDT 2013

On (2013-04-25 17:53 +0100), Alex Arseniev wrote:

> I feel the need to return the favour here :-)
> SNMPv3 generated in ASIC and transiting via RE (for the purpose of
> being encrypted) is NOT "in HW".
> It would be classified as "HW-assisted".

Quite. The main point is, in FXP you can never capitalize on any HW
feature, as you always transit RE.
In on-band/NPU ports you can avoid NPU completely when viable, and when not
viable you can use RE.

Only of course on top of on-band port, you need one port for disaster
recovery, and for this role FXP is very ill-fitting.

--
  ++ytti