[j-nsp] Best route reflector platform

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Apr 30 17:33:06 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 02:24:18 PM Richard A
Steenbergen wrote:

> I really can't imagine
> that the benefit of selling an extra MX240 chassis, even
> if sold at regular price, is worth the money being lost
> from everyone else.

One would hazard that the twisted thinking of someone at
Juniper is that get yet-another-MX chassis into the
customer's network, and hope that some bean-counting schmuck
will say to the Engineering team, "Hey, why do you want me
to buy another MX chassis yet you have this big thing which
can run both your route reflector function and the Multicast
video services the Board is asking us to push by Q4'some
year?".

Since new products need low capital to get off the ground,
Juniper will see an order for new line cards for what was a
dedicated route reflector, and perhaps down the line, expect
the customer to order another chassis so they can "get back"
there dedicated route reflector once the new product starts
making money...

... or something silly like all that. Who knows what Juniper
are thinking? I stopped caring.

Mark.