[j-nsp] EX8200 VirtualChassis versus Cisco VSS

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:05:21 EDT 2013

The 8200 vc stability is the best out of the EX lineup in my testing. I
can't make it fall over, where as I can find corner cases that will crash
3300s etc.

Just keep in mind the VC connections will only work with certain line cards
afaik. And I thought two RE's were required for dual xre use but I guess a
2200 in the middle is indeed a hack. :p

Morgan

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013, Billy Sneed wrote:

> The EX8200 Virtual-Chassis w/ a couple of the XRE200's does well. The
> XRE's act as the control plane and the 8200's end up just being linecards.
> It's a bit hack-ish IMHO w/ a EX2200 switch acting as the glue between each
> XRE and the 8200.
>
> We've run 11.2 - 11.4 and pleased w/ the stability. Our VC is split
> between two buildings a few SM fiber pairs acting as the VC connections
> between. We've dozens of aggregation switches (EX4500's & EX4200's)
> connected w/ LACP to each and are very pleased.
>
> Regards,
> Billy
>
> On 08/13/2013 05:46 AM, Robert Hass wrote:
>
>> How Virtual-Chassis on Juniper EX8200 is different than Catalyst 6500
>> (Sup2T) VSS ?
>>
>> Are both have shared control-plane ?
>>
>> How about stability of Virtual-Chassis and VSS on latest software
>> releases ?
>>

>> I would like to implement core layer using EX8200 or Cat6500 (two core
>> switches).
>>
>> Each core device will have only redundant power-supply. Line cards, CPU
>> etc
>> will be non-redundant. Redundancy will be archived using two boxes.
>> Access-Layer switch will be connected to both core devices using 1GE or
>> 10GE links and aggregated into single PortChannel (LACP).
>>
>> Access devices will be Cat2960XR (Cisco) or EX3300 (Juniper).
>>

>> Rob

Thanks,
Morgan