[j-nsp] Mixed Cisco/Juniper MPLS network

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 15 12:04:05 EDT 2013

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 05:48:24 PM Saku Ytti wrote:

> This has some scaling implications, back when we were not
> filtering label advertisements we exhausted M10i NHDB
> due to the labels.
>
> It may also hurt convergence as rerouting needs to
> consider more next-hops.

Labels would only be assigned to IGP routes, which are
typically limited to backbone and Loopback interfaces. As
customer routes aren't carried in the IGP (unless you're my
competitor, so go right ahead, hehe), that is not an issue.

Granted, you use more FIB slots than you would have if you
were simply filtering against Loopback addresses, but this
is a function of, as you say, scale, i.e., how many backbone
links are in the network.

Also, this is less of a problem for newer platforms that
have larger and/or discrete FIB's, and also quicker control
planes.

If Cisco had a command that implemented the Junos behaviour,
e.g,., "mpls ldp label allocation loopbacks-only" without
needing to tinker around with filters, I'd be the first one
to implement it :-).

Mark.