[j-nsp] trouble setting up link agg between clustered SRX 550 and Cisco 6509

Andy Litzinger Andy.Litzinger at theplatform.com
Thu Aug 15 18:55:25 EDT 2013

Has anyone had any difficulty creating a port channel between an SRX cluster (in this case, SRX 550s) and Cisco switches (in this case 6509s, non-VSS)?

When I tried to bring up a second link in the link agg group the cisco side put it in state "I" which means:  standalone.  It also logged this message:
%EC-SP-5-CANNOT_BUNDLE_LACP: Gi8/2 is not compatible with aggregators in channel 10 and cannot attach to them (flow control send of Gi8/2 is on, Gi8/1 is off)

I did some googling and found a couple articles that seemed to say that the SRX doesn't support flow-control so I tried turning it off on the cisco side.:
interface 8/1 flowcontrol send off
interface 8/2 flowcontrol send off
interface po10 flowconftorl send off

This didn't help and when I shut/no shut the port channel on the cisco side the whole thing went offline and wouldn't come back until I rebuilt it.

any ideas?

SRX-A connects to 6509-A with 2 physical links bundled into reth0
SRX-B connects to 6509-B with 2 physical links bundled into reth0

SRX side config:
>show configuration interfaces ge-0/0/4
gigether-options {
    redundant-parent reth0;