[j-nsp] Rationale behind "set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count"

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Aug 23 09:37:18 EDT 2013

On (2013-08-23 13:30 +0100), Phil Mayers wrote:

> Just for curiosity - why is this a "thing" in JunOS? Why doesn't the
> platform just let you configure the aeX interfaces and figure out
> the "count" itself?

I'd love to hear this.

I also find it rather strange that we need to configure tunnel PFE in trio
platforms. As I understand trio implements legacy-hardware's limitation, so
you actually do push tunneled packets inefficiently across fabric to
specific PFE for decap/encap, rather than to do the obvious and do
encap/decap at the trio where packet happens to hit, saving lookup and
fabric round-trip.

--
  ++ytti