[j-nsp] Rationale behind "set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count"

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 15:21:01 EDT 2013

Also, if software is smart it updates its SNMP indexes it has on record...I
know every custom script I've done checks to make sure its still looking at
the right interface, and if not it updates for it or marks the interface as
lost.

Curious about the line as well....its annoying.

Morgan

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Michael Loftis <mloftis at wgops.com> wrote:

> Heh, thats what I get for making an assumption!
>
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > On 23/08/13 17:14, Michael Loftis wrote:
> >>
> >> Part of it probably has to do with SNMP.  Pre-allocating the count
> >> keeps the SNMP index ID's from changing when devices are
> >> added/removed.  ae0 is always index blah.  A lot of tools are very
> >> dependent upon the SNMP index ID.
> >

> > I don't think so TBH. Having just snmpwalk'ed a JunOS box, the aeX
> > interfaces and sub-ints ifindex values appear allocated sequentially:
> >
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.521 = STRING: ae0
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.522 = STRING: ae0.32767
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.524 = STRING: ae1
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.529 = STRING: ae0.1
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.530 = STRING: xe-1/0/0.1
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.531 = STRING: ae0.11
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.532 = STRING: ae0.10
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.533 = STRING: ae0.9
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.534 = STRING: ae0.8
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.535 = STRING: ae0.7
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.536 = STRING: ae0.6
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.537 = STRING: ae0.5
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.538 = STRING: ae0.4
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.539 = STRING: ae0.3
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.540 = STRING: ae0.2
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.541 = STRING: xe-1/0/0.11
> > IF-MIB::ifDescr.542 = STRING: xe-1/0/0.10
> >
> > So, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, it's not doing anything
> > interesting here.
>

> --
>
> "Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors
> into trouble of all kinds."
> -- Samuel Butler

Thanks,
Morgan