[j-nsp] Connecting two spanning-tree domains

Marvin Bartchlett mbartchlett at juniper.net
Tue Aug 27 10:20:45 EDT 2013

You will have to be very careful. If I'm not mistaken MST actually uses CST to tie together the multiple spanning tree instances running in MST. If you tie in a Cisco device running RSTP the Juniper and Cisco devices will default to CST on those links since that's the common ground (as Johan said below).

This will trigger a spanning-tree root election on your CST instance - depending on how you have things configed you may endup with different roots. This could effect the flow of your MST instances that rely on CST.

Best regards,
Marvin Bartchlett
Juniper Networks
Resident Engineer - City of Lakeland, FL