[j-nsp] Connecting two spanning-tree domains

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Aug 27 13:12:44 EDT 2013

On 8/27/13 8:16 AM, Johan Borch wrote:
> This is basically two datacenters with a lot of devices on each side, and I
> need to exchange vlans in a redundant way. I need something solid so that
> one side can't interfere with the other side. Is there some way to add an
> extra L2 device between the networks to act as some kind of spanning tree
> "firewall" ;) talking MSTP and RSTP but not changing the root on either
> side?

You've arrived at a point where spanning tree may be running out of
steam, depending on your choice of platforms you should probably be
looking at trill/spb/L2vpn to glue these together. at some pooint you're
also going to want to use all your paths rather than blocking some of
them to build a loop-free topology.