[j-nsp] ip fragmentation, different mtu sizes

Brent Sweeny sweeny at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 17 22:42:36 EST 2013

I believe it does show 'the expected ip fragmentation'. this is from a
cisco 2921:

tpr-oob#show ip traffic | in frag
         0 fragmented, 0 fragments, 0 couldn't fragment
tpr-oob#ping somehost size 1600

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 1600-byte ICMP Echos to somehost, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 64/66/68 ms
tpr-oob#show ip traffic | in frag
         5 fragmented, 10 fragments, 0 couldn't fragment

I don't have a juniper quiet enough to isolate one test, but it is
seeing and counting fragments from a number of sources:
re1> show system statistics ip | match frag
         25525417 fragments received
         0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
         0 fragments dropped (queue overflow)
         2 fragments dropped after timeout
         0 fragments dropped due to over limit
         242206410 output datagrams fragmented