[j-nsp] Anybody use dual RE in srx3k? SCM only?

Nicholas Oas nicholas.oas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 11:04:20 EST 2013

I manage two SRX-3k chassis clusters with CRMs. The main reason we chose
CRMs in our deployment is to have a secondary control link (EM1) to avoid
split-brain scenario should we lose the link for EM0. We did the same thing
with the data plane (FAB0, FAB1) which of course does not require any
special hardware.

While the CRM is *not *a fully fledged RE, you can console into the RJ45
serial for RE1 and talk to it with a limited set of commands. JTAC directed
me to do this.

In that TAC case, EM1 was refusing to link up. The root cause was not
determined, however our use of non-Juniper optics had something to do with
it. Switching them out with the genuine OEM part (e.g. SRX-SFP-1GE-LX ,
SRX-SFP-1GE-SX) resolved our issue. So my advice when selecting parts for
the EM0/EM1 ports is to use the real deal.

Sidebar, of particular annoyance is the fact that at least as of 12.1,
there is absolutely no diagnostic information whatsoever for optics in
ports EM0/EM1. Normally you can 'show interface diagnostics optics', but
not for these two ports. They also do not show up in 'show chassis
hardware'. I sent our SE an enhancement request to get this added, but if
anyone else finds this annoying I encourage them to do the same. :)

That said we are happy with both clusters. Desirable things like ISSU and
session failover work as intended.