[j-nsp] J series packet mode

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Thu Dec 19 09:45:17 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 02:25:05PM +0000, Tom Storey wrote:
> Whats the general consensus about using a J series entirely in packet mode?
>
> Are there any gotchyas to be wary of, like missing features,
> performance hit? It looks like you can configure 3 address families
> for packet mode (iso, inet6, mpls) but not inet4. But, from what Im
> reading, enabling MPLS packet mode forces the whole box in to packet
> mode, including inet4.

	Most of the features do go away.  This is probably exactly what
you want.  (Your router to route, rather than be some sort of enterprise
security device, ala the SRX line.  I will never understand why they
crossed the two.)

> As I understand it the J series were originally a packet mode box
> until Juniper switched the default behaviour to flow based. Has there
> been any major architecture changes that would rule out packet mode
> operation?

        Note that they're still going to be silly and allocate all that
memory for flows, unless you keep the box on 9.x, so it's sort of a dead
end, but then again the J series is anyway.

	I trust this is existing hardware, and not a new purchase?

	--msa