[j-nsp] RR cluster

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Wed Feb 6 10:32:13 EST 2013

While the aforementioned approach (unique IDs and vanilla iBGP in
between) seems a reasonable baseline, the best way in practice depends
on factors like what sort of network the the RRs serve, how much state
they need to hold, whether they are on-line (do carry transit traffic)
or off-line (are just pieces of standalone control-plane).

Good discussion on same/unique cluster-ID can be found in the "JUNOS
Enterprise Routing" book. Some additional ideas regarding scaling RRs
for large-scale mBGP/VPN installations are in the "MPLS Enabled
Applications".

As cluster-ID debate easily turns into a holy-war, I ask to forgive me
this bit of fuel to the fire. But having been watching several networks
with the same ID approach in place for years, I must tell it's fairly
OK, especially if the RRs are topologically close or you don't expect
the network to scale beyond a single pair of RRs. The less amount of RIB
state on RRs is not only less burden to the hardware, but also a bit of
troubleshooting simplicity for NOC guys. In some cases, say, if the RRs
never need to forward traffic to each other, you might even want to omit
the iBGP session between them.

But, again, if you just want to plug and go, the mentioned approach
seems to be the right start.

Regars,
Pavel