[j-nsp] MX80 BGP performance after reboot

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Tue Feb 12 04:24:21 EST 2013

* Jeff Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz> [2013-02-12 01:03]:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Sebastian Wiesinger
> <juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org> wrote:
> > I noticed that a MX80 takes quite a long time after reboot to put all
> > routes into the KRT. Is that normal for that box? It takes around 10
> > minutes after BGP is established to get all the routes into the KRT
>
> Yes, the routes taking a long time to install is "normal,"
> unfortunately.  I feel like it has got worse since 10.4 but that might
> be my imagination.
>
> I am sorry I missed Richard Steenbergen's lightning talk at NANOG,
> which was something like "if you want your routers to install routes,
> call Juniper and reference PR#<whatever> because they do not want to
> fix this bug."

That sounds interesting. Perhaps I can find it or ask him about it.

> If I had to guess, I'd say the ddos-related log messages you are
> reading are related to excessive need to generate ttl_exceeded packets
> because of routing loops while BGP is announcing to neighboring
> routers but the routes are not actually installed in the FIB yet.
> Even if I am wrong about the specifics here, I am certain it is only a
> symptom of the problem which is unrelated to the ddos-protection
> feature.

Yes, I figured that this was because the KRT is lagging behind the
routing protocols. That's really annoying.

Well, I think I'll open a bug for this and see if anything useful
comes from it.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant