[j-nsp] Framing Errors

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Feb 14 13:06:05 EST 2013

Hi there.

I feel like I'm missing the obvious from shortage of sleep so hoping the
list can help me out ;)

We have a number of WAN connections that have wireless bridges in the middle
(Redline AN80 to be specific).  Each end of the wireless link has a  Juniper
EX2200 switch.  On the "uplink" interfaces we are seeing stats that look
like this:

paul at dis1.baseline1> show interfaces ge-0/0/0 extensive

  Traffic statistics:

   Input  bytes  :        5167733467665              2825888 bps

   Output bytes  :         835666628365              1871192 bps

   Input  packets:           4769429553                  591 pps

   Output packets:           3316784471                  541 pps

  Input errors:

    Errors: 25696, Drops: 0, Framing errors: 25696, Runts: 0, Policed
discards: 0, L3 incompletes: 0, L2 channel errors: 0, L2 mismatch timeouts:
0, FIFO errors: 0, Resource errors: 0

  MAC statistics:                      Receive         Transmit

    Total octets                 5167733467665     835666628365

    Total packets                   4769429553       3316784471

    Unicast packets                 4767231806       3312526230

    Broadcast packets                    80016          1053853

    Multicast packets                  2117731          3204388

    CRC/Align errors                     25696                0

    FIFO errors                              0                0

    MAC control frames                       0                0

    MAC pause frames                         0                0

    Oversized frames                         0

    Jabber frames                            2

    Fragment frames                        149

    Code violations                          0

I've tried to abbreviate this output but my area of concern here is the
number of "errors" which seem to be specifically Framing Errors.

Ge-0/0/0 in this example is that same as all of the other sites we see the
issue - it's a trunked interface carrying either a few VLAN's upwards of in
some situations 20-25 VLAN's:

  Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, Speed: Auto, Duplex: Auto, BPDU
Error: None, MAC-REWRITE Error: None, Loopback: Disabled, Source filtering:
Disabled, Flow control: Enabled,

  Auto-negotiation: Enabled, Remote fault: Online

  Autonegotiation information:

    Negotiation status: Complete

    Link partner:

        Link mode: Full-duplex, Flow control: None, Remote fault: OK, Link
partner Speed: 100 Mbps

    Local resolution:

        Flow control: Symmetric, Remote fault: Link OK

I guess I'm wondering why the MTU wouldn't be 1518 when trunked?  Should
there not be an additional 4 bytes for the VLAN headers?  My MTU magic is
failing me today..

Interface config looks like this:

paul at dis1.baseline1> show configuration interfaces ge-0/0/0

description ge1-1-0.dis1.cavan2;

unit 0 {

    family ethernet-switching {

        port-mode trunk;

        vlan {

            members [ OSPF_Cavan PPPOE_Baseline_24 PPPOE_Baseline_900
PPPOE_KawarthaTrails_24 PPPOE_KawarthaTrails_365 PPPOE_Baseline_365 ];

        }

    }

}

I've talked to Redline (the wireless bridge manufacturer) and they are
pointing the finger at cabling problems between their gear and the Juniper
switch - still a possibility but we've replaced everything already at a few
sites so I'm leaning towards a Redline issue itself, but wanted to rule out
something obvious in the Juniper side of things causing the Framing Errors.
We also have some sites where the number of "carrier transitions" are quite
high (again Redline radios in middle and EX2200 on each side).

Any insight/input much appreciated - would be really nice if someone on this
list has a similar setup and could share their experiences.

Thanks,

Paul