[j-nsp] SRX cluster and route failover

Mark Menzies mark at deimark.net
Mon Feb 18 03:34:33 EST 2013

Hi all

I hope someone here can help.

I have an SRX cluster with 3 reth interfaces, 2 for WAN and one for LAN.

I want to have static routes used to send traffic over the primary WAN reth
when the next hop is available and then fail over to the secondary WAN.

We have some restraints here.

*  We cannot use dynamic routing, the 3rd party devices we are connecting
to wont use dynamic routing, so we are left with static routes.

*  We cannot use BFD as the 3rd party next hops are not managed by us, nor
can we get them to implement BFD

*  We have multiple logical interfaces on the primary WAN reth and we dont
want to fail over the entire the reth, just the specific static route for
the specific customer that has failed.

*  We have asked for pingable hosts from each customer from which we are
going to base our testing of the next hop.

I have looked at using event scripts and also ip-monitoring.  I am looking
for any guidance or experience in doing this for customers and any likely
gotchas or things to look out for.

I have found KB25052 which does tend to imply that ip-moniting using RPMs
should do the deed and allow me to set a new route for a specific
destination so this seems to fit the bill and a quick test seems to confirm
that.  However would I benefit from any junoscript stuff?

Does anyone have any experiences or comments on above mechanisms?

Thanks in advance

Mark