[j-nsp] MX80 BGP performance after reboot

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 06:22:58 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Sebastian Wiesinger
<juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org> wrote:
> This is really frustrating and limits the scope where we can put the
> MX80 platform. Would it have been so much more expensive to put a
> faster CPU/RE into that thing? Or is this just a case of diversifying
> the product line?

It's not about slow CPU. MX80 has very fast PPC (fastest from it's like)
processor but RPD code sucks.  Same family was used eg.  in RSP720 in Cisco
7600 which is much faster - but it's probably becouse IOS preforms better
than JunOS in terms of performance/scheduling on PPC platform.

New MX80 is coming (with Dual-RE) but RE is so small and I don't think it
will be Intel instead of PPC.

Rob