[j-nsp] IPv6 ND timeouts and configuration

Grzegorz Janoszka Grzegorz at janoszka.pl
Wed Feb 20 08:30:56 EST 2013

On 20-02-13 16:41, Grzegorz Janoszka wrote:
> I was looking for Juniper command to set IPv6 ND parameters, like ie set
> system arp aging-timer for v4. The only thing I found was under
> protocols router-advertisement interface and there I set reachable-time
> and retransmit-timer. However that enabled sending RA on that interface
> which was not my goal.
> Is there any way to tune IPv6 ND to achieve the equivalent of Cisco IOS:
> interface X
>  ipv6 nd reachable-time 1800000
>  ipv6 nd ns-interval 5000
> but without enabling RA?
>
> Thanks for any hints, Google was not really helpful.

Weird to answer to own emails, but I think someone will Google for it
anyway so the list archive may be useful (once I had a problem, googled
for it and found my own answer to the very same problem posted a few
years ago in a mailing list ;))

The problem now is we had a packet loss on some routers. They were
dropping IPv6 packets passing the router. On Cisco you can set the above
on interface and it helps, on Juniper setting that helps is:

[edit protocols]
+   router-advertisement {
+       interface xe-1/2/3.0 {
+           reachable-time 3600000;
+           retransmit-timer 5000;

It stopped the packet loss, however there is one drawback:

> show ipv6 router-advertisement
Interface: xe-1/2/3.0
  Advertisements sent: 5, last sent 00:04:35 ago

Any idea how to keep those parameters (they help for the packet loss)
and not send any ads?

--
Grzegorz Janoszka