[j-nsp] EX2200 - LIBJNX_SNMP_ENGINE_SCAN_FAILURE

Phil Shafer phil at juniper.net
Thu Feb 21 03:58:22 EST 2013

Joel Dahl writes:
>Hi,
>
>I installed a new Juniper EX2200 today, running Junos 11.4R5.7.
>
>Upon every commit I get the following error message (but the commit succeeds):
>
>root at testsw# commit check
>LIBJNX_SNMP_ENGINE_SCAN_FAILURE: snmp_engine_read: fscanf : /var/db/snmp_engine.db scann
>ing: full_engine_id Error: Unknown error: 0
>configuration check succeeds
>
>It's also visible in the message log during boot.
>
>Is this something I should be worried about? I haven't seen it before.

fscanf doesn't set errno, for the "%m" in the syslog message is
meaningless ("Unknown error: 0").   The LIBJNX_SNMP_ENGINE_SCAN_FAILURE error
is listed as:

phil at dent> help syslog LIBJNX_SNMP_ENGINE_SCAN_FAILURE
Name:          LIBJNX_SNMP_ENGINE_SCAN_FAILURE
Message:       <function-name>: fscanf : <filename> scanning: <data> Error:
               <error-message>
Help:          SNMP engine data file scan operation failed
               engine data file.
Type:          Error: An error occurred
Severity:      critical
Facility:      ANY
Cause:         An internal software failure occurred.
Action:        Contact your technical support representative. For more information, see
               http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB18953.

phil at dent>

I'm having trouble getting to this link, but my guess is that there's
some broken data in your /var/db/snmp_engine.db file.

Thanks,
 Phil