[j-nsp] interface-transmit-statistics

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Feb 23 16:52:14 EST 2013

I was skimming through some release notes and noticed the following new
feature, which was supposedly added in 12.3 and 11.4R3 (new features in
an R3 release? *cough*):

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/topics/concept/interface-transmit-statistics-reporting-improvements-overview.html
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/interface-transmit-statistics-edit-interfaces.html

The description on this is pretty vague, but it SOUNDS like this might
compensate for the long-standing issue where the L2 overhead on packets
don't get reported in the SNMP counters on Juniper hardware, in
violation of the spec and opposition to how every other vendor does it.
Actually it doesn't sound like this at all (did I mention this
description is ridiculously vague and poorly written), but that's a
pretty serious long-standing issue that I'd LOVE to see get addressed,
and the only one I can think of related to transmit statistics, so I'm
hopeful that this is what it fixes. If anybody has any further details,
it'd be much appreciated. :)

That said, what hardware is it actually supported on? The release notes
just say "MX", but when I try it on MPC-16XGE or MPC2 interfaces on a
box running 11.4R6 it says:

dcd[1550]: %DAEMON-3: Interface-Transmit-Statistics Knob not supported
on this hardware. Will have no effect.

And a more interesting question, would this also affect the packet
counters reported to MPLS LSPs when doing auto-bandwidth calculations?
This issue causes one of the biggest problems with auto-bandwidth on
Juniper, the lack of L2 overhead in the counters makes it possible for
high-pps traffic like a DoS attack to be completely invisible to RSVP,
causing uncompensated for congestion.