[j-nsp] BGP PIC Edge on MX platforms

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Tue Jan 1 05:40:02 EST 2013

Disclaimer, I work for cisco and was involved in the idea, design and
implementation of BGP PIC Edge, though here I speak only for myself
and not my employer.

>From the "Example: Configuring MPLS Egress Protection for Layer 3
VPN Services" of

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.2/information-products/topic-collections/config-guide-vpns/config-guide-vpns.pdf

It looks like this is a very different thing than BGP PIC Edge, it
require manual configuration and designated PLRs.

None of that is required with BGP PIC Edge, which on a per prefix basis
will on the ingreess PEs automatically calculate the primary and repair
egress PE, and setup forwarding structures allowing Prefix Independent
(constant time) Convergence of all affected prefixes when the loopback
of the primary egress PE is withdrawn from the IGP.

Additionally BGP PIC Edge also provides Prefix Independent Convergence
in the case of a PE-CE link failure, or CE node failure, where the
egress PE will redirect traffic to an backup PE/CE, again the backup
PE/CE is automatically pre-calculated on a per prefix basis, so you can
have CE1 be the primary for say 10k prefixes, where CE2 is the backup
for 5k of them and CE3 for the remaining 5k.

Lastly, this all works for prefixes in a L3 VPN or in the global routing
table, as long as the IGP routes are labeled.

/Jesper

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 12:04:15AM -0500, Phil Bedard wrote:
> 11.4R3 I believe.  Juniper calls it MPLS Egress Protection for L3VPN
>
> Phil
>
> On Dec 31, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Robert Hass <robhass at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Is BGP PIC Edge functionality supported on current MX platforms ? (eg.
> > JunOS 11.4R6 or 12.x)
> >
> > Rob

/Jesper