[j-nsp] SRX and not working VRRP

Aaron Dewell aaron.dewell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:37:43 EST 2013

Actually, you have to do that on an MX also.  By default, the virtual IP will not accept anything destined for it (such as pings) unless you enable accept-data.  The "real" IP of the interface will respond, but not the shared address.

Now, I have seen hokey setups before where people had configured a "real" IP as the virtual.  it worked (though I wouldn't guarantee failover results) and it would respond to ping in that case (since it was a "real" IP).  To do it properly, it needs 3 IP addresses (1 for primary, 1 for secondary and one shared).

What's different on the SRX is that the protocol has to be enabled in the zone/interface.

Aaron