[j-nsp] Question about Routing Engine Redundancy on MX

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jan 9 14:55:49 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:39:05PM -0600, Jose Sanchez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody know if the RE Redundancy in Juniper MX Routers requires that
> both RE are the same hardware or it is enough that the REs has the same
> JUNOS Version?

As long as they're reasonably similar it should work fine. For MX that
pretty much means RE-2000 and RE-1300, you have no hope in hell of
mismatching the new ones (RE-1800x2/4, which require 64-bit JUNOS) with
the old ones. For some definition of work of course (for all of the
active redundancy), where in my experience the answer is "it doesn't".
:)