[j-nsp] Layer 2 port mirroring on MX960

Terry Jones terry.jones at war-eagle.me
Wed Jan 9 17:44:35 EST 2013

Greetings All,

I am trying to get a port mirror working with no success. I want to
port-mirror ge-1/0/0 interfaces that is interface-type access.

When I configure the forwarding-options, there is no longer a bridge
option.only ccc, inet and vpls. Even though not showing, when I configure
'forwarding-options port-mirroring instance wireshark9 family bridge', it
takes it, but changes it to 'forwarding-options port-mirroring instance
wireshark9 family vpls'.

The port-mirror output shows down on the output, but I do see the counters
increment.

Any thoughts, ideas or tips would be appreciated.

tjones at crsw01.cn.sb2# show forwarding-options port-mirroring instance
wireshark9 | display set

set forwarding-options port-mirroring instance wireshark9 input rate 1

set forwarding-options port-mirroring instance wireshark9 family vpls output
interface xe-5/2/1.0

set forwarding-options port-mirroring instance wireshark9 family vpls output
no-filter-check

tjones at crsw01.cn.sb2# show interfaces ge-1/0/0 | display set

set interfaces ge-1/0/0 unit 0 family bridge filter input wireshark9

set interfaces ge-1/0/0 unit 0 family bridge filter output wireshark9

set interfaces ge-1/0/0 unit 0 family bridge interface-mode access

set interfaces ge-1/0/0 unit 0 family bridge vlan-id 802

tjones at crsw01.cn.sb2# show firewall family bridge filter wireshark9 |
display set

set firewall family bridge filter wireshark9 term 1 then count wireshark9

set firewall family bridge filter wireshark9 term 1 then accept

set firewall family bridge filter wireshark9 term 1 then
port-mirror-instance wireshark9

tjones at crsw01.cn.sb2# run show forwarding-options port-mirroring wireshark9

Instance Name: wireshark9

  Instance Id: 11

  Input parameters:

    Rate                  : 1

    Run-length            : 0

    Maximum-packet-length : 0

  Output parameters:

    Family      State     Destination          Next-hop

    vpls        down      xe-5/2/1.0

tjones at crsw01.cn.sb2# run show firewall counter wireshark9 filter wireshark9

Filter: wireshark9

Counters:

Name                                                Bytes
Packets

wireshark9                                          80634
744

Thanks,

Terry