[j-nsp] EX Switch Question

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Thu Jan 10 09:35:55 EST 2013

I personally would not use the EX series in a metro ethernet deployment, as that's not where they are positioned to be.  Perhaps the MX80 would work?  You can get 40 ports of copper (using SFPs) into a single box, with both shaping/policing on a per-port/per-vlan basis.  I don't think you can do this with an MX80-48T, though.  The other option would be an MX240 with -X-Q or 3D-Q/EQ modules, but those can get rather expensive.

Honestly, if you're looking for metro ethernet switches, I'd continue on with Cisco, primarily due to price compared with the MX80, and features specifically positioned for Metro-E compared with the EX series.  ME3600 and ME3800 seem to be great switches with tons of features.  This is an area where I think Juniper really needs to catch up on (vlan translation, swapping, QoS, MPLS, REP, etc.).

-evt