[j-nsp] EX Switch Question

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Fri Jan 11 06:41:47 EST 2013

> So is there anything reasonably priced in the Juniper lineup for this kind
> of situation or do we look at Cisco/other?

If a bunch of MX5's doesn't fit the price expectation, than, I would
say, Cisco/other.

Looks like Juniper just did not much care metro ethernet. BTW, it's
sometimes said, that the reason is a lack of such a market in North
America (where I've even never been to, thus can't judge whether this
sentence is correct :). Another reason (more serious, I would say) is a
strong Juniper's position in the MPLS battle, which doesn't allow them
to invest much into the plain ethernet metro access technologies to not
kill the goose that lays the golden eggs (from the pure engineering
point of view there is also some logics in such an approach).

With the launch of ACX series things might change and a reasonably cheap
JUNOS-based metro ethernet-over-MPLS solution might become available,
but this is a deal of a few quarters ahead, as I understand.