[j-nsp] Multicast flow with "Wrong incoming interface notifications" counter incrementing

Nilesh Khambal nkhambal at juniper.net
Mon Jan 14 12:14:42 EST 2013

Iif mismatch means the multicast traffic received for this (S,G) has a different incoming interface than the one we programmed in the PFE (based on RPF check).

Traffic would get discarded in this case and not forwarded. However, a notification is sent to RPD/PIM on the RE to check if the we need to change the iif on this (S,G) to a new iif (for e.g. if this leads to RPT to SPT cutover or if there is a change in the iif due to RPF interface change)

If the counter increase consistently, then most likely you are not forwarding on that (S,G) if 100% of the incoming traffic on this (S,G) get discarded with iif mismatch. Alternately, you might be getting same (S,G) traffic on 2 different iifs and in this case one coming over correct iif gets forwarded and one over wrong iif gets discarded with iif mismatch counted against that (S,G).

Thanks,
Nilesh.

Sent from my mobile device