[j-nsp] Interface tail drops vs. ifOutDiscards

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Wed Jan 30 13:36:54 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 03:44:42PM +0400, Nick Kritsky wrote:
> You can use counters in jnx-cos MIB ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.15 ).
> They will give you per-queue drop counters for each interface.
> I use jnxCosIfqTailDropPkts for monitoring interfaces on EX switches. These
> are the counters you see in "show interface extensive" - dropped packets
> for for each queue.

Unlike EX-series MX does report total number of dropped packets
(sum of drops in each queue) in standard ifOutDiscards OID:

snar at router> show snmp mib walk ifOutDiscards | except " = 0"
ifOutDiscards.522 = 62118
ifOutDiscards.529 = 82824
ifOutDiscards.545 = 2350808
ifOutDiscards.548 = 2518889
ifOutDiscards.558 = 2465225

Not sure if packets dropped by deeper QoS functions like RED are
reported here however.

> nick
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM, Clarke Morledge <chmorl at wm.edu> wrote:
>
> > Really?
> >
> > Is there any know way to measure tail drops via SNMP with Juniper?  In
> > particular, I am wondering about the MX platform.
> >
> > That is really odd.

But, in practice, there is.