[j-nsp] Network design problem in a bridged setup with 2x Juniper MX and some Brocade SuperX

Tobias Heister lists at tobias-heister.de
Thu Jan 31 04:08:58 EST 2013

Hi,

Am 31.01.2013 03:06, schrieb Huan Pham:
> The simplest solution is redundant trunk group (RTG). Pls check if your switches facing customer support it.
>
> On Cisco, i think you can use "interface backup" command to do the same.
>
> The down side with these solutions is customers have to connect to the same physical switch or virtual chassis.

Why should they need to connect ot the same upstream switch?

RTG or flexlink is only run local on the TOR or Access Switch, the upstream switch does not need to know about it. You can connect the access switch running RTG/flexlink to two different
Core Switches without any problems. We do this in basically all of our datacenters.

You only need to make sure, that the Core to Core Switch Link does not fail or at least is redundant enough, otherwise you may end up with a split situation as RTG/flexlink does not know
about link errors upstream.

regards
Tobias