[j-nsp] Advice on a 100Gbps+ environment

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 04:58:58 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've only really dealt with traffic levels under 20Gbps. I have a client
that will be pushing over 100gps, and close to 200 within the next six
months, at least thats the goal. Judging by the type of traffic it is...I
could see it happening. I'm probably in over my head, but thats another
topic.

The plan is to run OSPF from a couple existing MX480s I setup to a new
switching core which is running VRRP and extending L2 out to existing end
of row switches. This leaves me with hoping that OSPF ECMP works well
enough to push these kinds of traffic levels over a bunch of 10GE links,
load balancing between the upstream MX routers. Can I rely on ECMP for this
type of setup? Each MX will have about 50Gbps provider connectivity to
start, and will have ~150Gbps by the time the contracts ramp up. The MX's
are not at the same site, so I'm limited to using 10g links site to site
over their cwdm.

This leaves me then with a problem; getting a bunch of capacity in L2 form
to the EOR switches. At least on the EX4500 (we will move to bigger), the
max number of links for a lag is 8, so 80Gbps. And I can't expect to really
make complete use of that. Do people use MSTP for this purpose at all?
Spreading environments over a couple 80GB, or a few 40GB lags? I could also
run 40GE ports in lag...but will juniper devices allow LAGs with 40GE ports?

Also...any tips on handling all of the provider connections? I don't know
if they will be giving us lags, which means I'll be potentially running
10-15 BGP sessions per MX, which is a lot of routes. They're running the
RE-S-1800 quad core 16GB, but should I opt for partial or just default at
that point? Its possible all of the links will be from the same provider.

--
Thanks,
Morgan