[j-nsp] Advice on a 100Gbps+ environment

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Tue Jul 2 11:09:44 EDT 2013

On 03/07/13 00:56, Darius Jahandarie wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com> wrote:
>> And what is wrong with the MX80 as a peering/transit router for up to 80Gbps of traffic?
>
> The lack of redundant REs + inability to have an external RE.

Other than the amount of CPU capacity on the MX80 (which has been done
to death here) do you really have RE's fail often enough to be a problem?

Sure on the larger boxes they're cheap enough that if you're really
doubt they save that much downtime.

The most common failure I've seen on Juniper RE's (by far) is HDD
failures, which is largely mitigated on current kit with SSD's.