[j-nsp] Advice on a 100Gbps+ environment

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jul 2 11:22:24 EDT 2013

On Tuesday, July 02, 2013 04:50:43 PM Saku Ytti wrote:

> MX104 has faster QorIQ core and 4GB DRAM.

Althought I'd have been happier to see a 1U MX switch-router
from Juniper, the MX104 is a reasonably welcome chassis,
particularly if you're looking at mixed Ethernet and non-
Ethernet (mostly non-Ethernet) deployments in the edge. I'm
talking STM-1/OC-3, STM-4/OC-12, STM-16/OC-48, that type of
thing.

Low-speed ports are quite a waste in a chassis with this
much muscle, but if you want to stick them without
completely feeling raped, the MX104 is not such a bad
compromise, all things considered.

We've mostly looked at Cisco's ASR1006 for this, but the
MX104 is now a considerable answer to that platform. The
only problem will be that Cisco SPA's are way cheaper than
Juniper MIC's, particularly if you buy them on the grey
market (making them quite available in the wild for
peanuts). And if you've come from a Cisco chassis that
needed them (think SIP carriers cards on the Cisco 6500,
7600, XR 12000, e.t.c.), then you'd be remiss not migrate
them to an ASR1000.

Nonetheless, a mighty effort from Juniper. Those on-board
10Gbps Ethernet ports will certainly give the ASR1000
something to think about, although if you're mostly using an
ASR1000 or MX104 for non-Ethernet terminations in the edge,
you're unlikely to ever feel constrained on 1x or even 2x
10Gbps uplinks into the core, never mind 4x.

Cheers,

Mark.