[j-nsp] EX-RPS configuration

Rico -mc- Gloeckner jnsp at ukeer.de
Thu Jul 4 12:04:13 EDT 2013

hi,

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 06:04:56PM +0400, Nick Kritsky wrote:
> From what I see - basically they are just DC converters with some minimal
> set of knobs.
> Documentation is virtually non-existent. Main idea I got from the site - it

juniper.net
 => Support
 => select any RPS-able switch, EX3300 f.e.
 => Additional Links / EX RPS
 => Documentation

thats not virtually non-existent, i believe.  I recommend choosing the
pdf at the side
 =>
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/information-products/topic-collections/hardware/ex-series/RPS/book-hw-rps.pdf

158 pages of Documentation, ranging from electrical considerations to
restrictions/limitations up to how to configure the RPS from a Switch or
VC (page 81).

> should just work when you plug it in. But guess what -  it doesn't. It
> looks like I have missed some very simple step. The one that was considered
> obvious to the guy who was creating the manual :)

if it doesnt work at all, the most probable cause is that you didnt fill
the middle of the three input slots with a PSU. (page 10 in the pdf)
both LEDs in the PSU(s) should be green, if one is red, something is wrong.

also note that according to documentation (i didnt test though), EXs
arent able to boot from the RPS. (page 5 of the pdf)

 -mc